Podcast Recording Tips & Tricks
Podcasts are a great tool for promoting a business and elevating it to a position of authority within an industry. With that in mind, it’s important that the recording be authoritative, purposeful and professional. Below are some tips & tricks to keep in mind when recording a podcast.
- Use a land line if recording on the phone.
- Keep the handset close or mic to your mouth
- Maintain a consistent distance from mic or phone for the duration of the recording session.
- Don’t use speakerphone.
- Speak clearly and succinctly in your normal speaking voice.
- Don’t mumble.
- Record in a quite room with a door.
- Hang a “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door.
- Turn off ALL electronics and equipment that might make noise.
- Don’t worry about mistakes they can be removed during editing.
What makes a good podcast?
Have a reason for podcasting. Make sure your message is clear and concise. Rehearse the important points before you record to ensure the information is received correctly by the audience.
Where should you record?
The best recordings are made in a quiet room with carpet and/or furniture to absorb echoes and dampen the sound. Make sure the room has a door to reduce unexpected interruptions. Consider hanging a note on the door that says, “do not disturb, recording in progress.” Remember to turn off all electronics (computers, cell phones, etc.), fans and any equipment that might make noise during recording.
What should you do if you make a mistake?
Pause for 2-3 seconds then restate the sentence. The mistake can be removed during the editing process.